Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Good Night's Sleep

By Chaplain (MAJ) Jeffrey L. Brooks

   I'd like to start this time by asking you a couple questions if I may.  "How are you doing these days when it comes to getting a good night's sleep?"  "Have you been resting well lately?"  "Do you ever feel like you are running on empty?"
    In the Book of Matthew the Lord said this, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and over-burdened, and I will give you rest! Put on my yoke and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-30, J.B. Phillips Bible).
    Over the past couple of years I've learned a lot about the importance of the quality of sleep that we get.  There is a relationship between the quality of the rest we get and the quality of our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.  The "quality" of our sleep seems to be as important as the "quantity" of the sleep we get.
    I'd like to challenge you to make sure that you get the rest that you need - the kind of rest that refreshes, revives and rejuvenates. One way to do this is by simply making "quality-rest" a priority in our lives - something that we schedule, focus on and plan for.
    1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust" (Psalm 91:1-2).
    Chaplain Brooks is a 1978 graduate of Eastern High School.  He is the son of Willard (deceased) and Susan Brooks of Kokomo.  Jeff is the chaplain at Tobyhanna Army Depot in Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment