Thursday, July 5, 2012

Antique Shop to Close

by Dave Turner

   Someone a long time ago said, "if you have a dream, go for it."  I would guess that would best describe my life and career as an antique dealer. Some thirty odd years ago, I became interested in Greentown Glass. I was home on leave from the Navy, and went to the Greentown Glass Museum, looked around, admired the glassware that was on display, and bought a book on Greentown Glass. 
   After returning to my base, and studying the book, I went to the local flea market and found my first piece of Greentown Glass. As I recall, I think I paid ten dollars for it. So in my excitement I mailed this piece of glass to my parents and had them take it to the museum, have it authenticated, and see what the value was.  To my surprise, they told Mom and Dad that it was worth about sixty dollars. After I heard that, I said to myself, whoa...you know, you just might be able to make a living by buying and selling Greentown Glass.  And of course, the rest is history. After moving back to Indiana in ‘91, I became more involved in the glass, not only as a dealer, but also in preserving and trying to ensure that "Greentown Glass" would forever be for the generations to come. In about late 1998 
my wife and I opened up the Greentown Antique Mall, and up to this point, have never looked back.  The town and public were very receptive and supportive of our antique shop, and we were really blessed to be here.
   As I look back and reflect on the thirteen plus years that we have been in business, I often wonder what were the best and, of course, worst parts of being in business as an antique shop owner.  I think the worst part was after a big snow storm, and after I had just cleaned off my sidewalk, here would come a snow plow, and lo and behold, the sidewalk was covered all over again!  The best part I think was the wonderful people I've come to know and some of the nicest people, from all over, that I've met. I think that the many friendships that have come about is probably the biggest blessing that a business person could have. I have tried to be an asset to my community, and to do all that I could to make Greentown a better place, in some little way, for all who live here.  I particularly enjoy getting younger people involved in antiques and in Greentown Glass, for they are the ones who will have to carry on, and preserve our traditions and our heritage.  I could probably fill up the pages in the "Grapevine" about the many unusual things that have happen in my shop, but instead, I will tell you about one incident, in particular.  A couple came into the shop one day, all excited about a piece of what they were told, was a RARE piece, of Greentown Glass.  They said that they had been on vacation in Kansas, and the dealer told them how rare and valuable this piece of glass was, and they could have it for only four hundred dollars.  So they bought it and now were standing before me to see how much it really was worth. The moment I saw it, I knew right away that it was a reproduction and only worth about fifteen dollars. The look on their faces told me what was coming next.  After a few minutes, I was told, "I don't think that you know what you’re talking about and some....unkind...words were spoken. Then they stormed out of the store.
   Now I must walk out of the store, with regret.  Due to some health issues, I will be retiring and closing my shop on July 28th. It's truly something that I don't want to do, but more or less have to. The remaining stock will be sold in several auctions over the coming year. 
   Before I close this article, there are several people I would like to give thanks and appreciation to. First I would like to thank the good Lord for watching over me and my shop, blessing me with friends and financial gain.  Next would be my wife Bonnie, who has put up with my antiquing addictions, on our vacations, for all these years. To Brad Howell for all that he has done to help me make my business, a success, the folks at the Greentown Grapevine, Ralph and Kitty Troyer, Judy and John Horner, and of course my many friends and business acquaintances, without whose support there would not have been an antique shop. So as they say, I'm not getting older, just more collectible.
   Thank you all. Dave Turner


No comments:

Post a Comment